Dear <insert your name>,
I am so happy to be writing you today – after a lot of consideration, some very tough competition and a robust amount of procrastination from my entire team we’ve decided that the job is yours! We pick you! We hope you are just squealing in delight right now, we sure are!
As you may recall this is an immediate start position and it requires that you give it your all, 24 hours, 7 days a week. We know you are up for the challenge! You will be generously compensated in line with your work effort + joy, and don’t forget that you set the course completely here – if something isn’t working, we want you to change it. I’ve included the job description again below, if you find that this needs to be expanded upon or narrowed down please feel free to do so on your own.
Take the lead my friend, we can’t wait to see what you do!
Job Title: Living.
Experience Requirements: Everything that happened before today, including 5 minutes ago.
(you really nailed this one)
- Respect the time that you’re given. Use it to accomplish things, relax, enjoy, savor, marinate in and above all else appreciate. It’s the only piece of this role that we can’t help you with and we have no insight into how much you’re given. This is not a race, there isn’t a countdown clock to reference so it is both fleeting and infinitely in front of you. For this reason, if you are doing something that you really dislike the best time to find a way to stop doing it would be now.
- Do your best. Please be kind to yourself here and realize that your best is constantly shifting – just do what you can in each moment your abilities and patience will ebb and flow. Here at Life Headquarters we know this. Whatever you do, please dust off the times in the past in which you felt you could have done better – that’s living in a place we call hindsight and your best can not be evaluated from that vantage point. Forward, my friend, look in that direction and remember you can always do better.
- Love. In this order please: Something bigger than You (God, the Universe, the World your pick!), people, experiences, all things living, food, and your stuff. In instances where you must love, find a way. In instances where you are not sure, pray, meditate, exhale. In instances where you need to love in moderation, do. In times when love is hard, try. If you don’t love the stuff, give it away…if you change your mind you can trust the stuff will always be there for you to get.
- Be curious. Please channel your inner 3 year old whenever you find yourself bored or uninspired and look at the life you are living and ask this very important question: Why? When that doesn’t work ask: How? Please do not wait for the answer, but trust that by asking it you’ll run into it when it’s in your best interest. Which brings me to a big one…
- Ask. (if you have to ask for what then you already have your first ask – repeat)
- Live how you want to live. Starting now. Do you want to be the kind of person that takes walks? Start taking walks. Now. Do you want to be the kind of person that reads interesting books? Start reading a book or asking for book suggestions or get a library card today, or tomorrow, or this month…whenever works for you. Do not delay.
- Go for it. Win some, lose some. Does not matter one bit to us. Success in this role is not dependent on wins – it is dependent solely on going for it.
- Learn to use a hammer. They are incredibly good tools for hanging pictures, smashing glass ceilings, taking down & creating walls. All good things at different times. If you only have one tool, pick the hammer. Hammers do not fix bikes though, in these instances consider the problem and remember you can always Ask for help.
- Share what you know, what you’ve learned, how you discovered something, a smile, what you’ve been given and cake. If you discover anything else that can be shared please do so, generosity is the key to a happy heart and that feeling of abundance you’re seeking.
Please remember that you must start immediately. Do not wait until Monday or the first of the month or the new year (lunar, calendar or the start of the next season of Game of Thrones) – you start now. You’ve got this. No one could do a better job, we just know it!