I felt a lot better after writing the post last week. Sometimes just sharing where you’re at helps.
This was not a perfect week. You know what? I’ve never had one. I’m thinking about it now and not once have I had a perfect week. It’s probably about time I adjust my idea of what that even means given I’ve not once met that “sticker-chart” item.
I’ve been doing a lot of reading, listening and researching this past week…not necessarily about weight loss but about loving my life more and loving my body for being an active participant in that life. Here are some highlights and sources…
- The Lively Show podcast with Gretchen Rubin.
- When Gretchen went over the 4 different kinds of personalities in terms of habits I had an aha moment that I am 100% an obliger (I need outside forces to make me accountable) so many things clicked when I realized that. I was finally able to forgive myself for not having enough “willpower” to do things completely on my own. It has me on the hunt for an accountability partner. Qualifications – you’ve had a child in the last 18 months, we’re not related or like sisters (it’s too much pressure) and you have goals too. It’s likely you are also an obliger. You can take the quiz to find out what you are.
- In that same podcast Jess mentioned a quote from Man’s Search for Meaning by Frankl, Viktor E. 1st (first) edition [MassMarket(2006)]. I’ve got the book from the library to read but this quote really has had me thinking. “So live as if you were living already for the second time and as if you had acted the first time as wrongly as you are about to act now!”
- I’ve wanted to introduce more daily faith into my life and I picked up this book from the library: Get Your Hopes Up!: Expect Something Good to Happen to You Every Day. The third chapter starts with Eliminate Every “Can’t” and that line made me immediately anxious and also excited. I has me making a list of things I think I Can’t so I can start eliminating them turning Can’t into Can.
- Then I got this note from the Universe. If you don’t get notes from the universe I HIGHLY recommend them.
So what if it takes a long time, Cass?
So what if it’s already taken longer than you thought?
So what if it will still take longer?
The day will nevertheless arrive, as it always does, when all your prior efforts, determination, and persistence will seem a paltry price indeed as you are lifted irrevocably higher, as if by chariots of fire, into realms previously unimagined, and then you’ll think to yourself, “Wow, that was fast.”
I can hear the music now,
In the midst of all this reading I got stuck looking at that picture of me from the last post thinking: where’d that girl go? And….that girl took good care of herself. I’ve gotten a bit lazy with that. I’ve got amazing people around me that do a really nice job of taking care of me (that husband of mine, he’s the very best)….but me…well I’d been slacking. I looked in the mirror and saw hair that looked like it came out of a simpsons episode and decided a haircut would be a great place to start.
I sat down in the chair with the very amazing stylist I’ve been seeing for the past couple of years, showed her some pictures and she got to work. As the hair was falling to the ground I had this resounding feeling of: I’m the kind of person that takes the time to like her haircut. And I felt a lot better. So if you see me, I still haven’t really figured out how to DO that new haircut…but I’m smiling anyway.